Tuesday, September 14, 2010

PBL with Technology

This week we read 6 chapters in two textbooks. The primary focus was problem-based learning. I must say that I am apprehensive about implementing problem-based learning in a public school environment. I am concerned about losing precious instructional time that is needed to meet the demands of a standards based classroom. "Supporting Learning with Technology: Essentials of Classroom Practice" by Joy Egbert addressed my apprehension. I do not need to have a classroom solely based in PBL but enhanced by PBL projects. The advantages of PBL is that students can use higher level critical thinking skills to address real-world issues. Students can extend these critical thinking skills to other classrooms and the world at large. In a work environment these thinking skills are desirable and important to problem solving. I was also relieved to find that many activities I already use are considered PBL activities. Technology lends itself to increasing PBL activities in the classroom. I have noticed that many students are not comfortable with questions that do not have a correct answer and it takes time to draw students out. The classroom environment must be respectful and feel safe for students to participate with their opinions and thought processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.